In April 2010 I posted about a new project I had been working on ...
I had joined a fibre group who experimented with all types of creative fibre methods.
We had been given a challenge with a theme of 'Wild Women'
My mind went immediately to Medusa.
To me she was truly wild, exiled to survive on her own haunted by the writhing of a myriad of snakes which were her hair. I could imagine a felted bust of her tortured face
and snakes of all colours and textures slithering about her, so I set myself to work.
Firstly I found some garden wire to build a basic frame
Then covered the frame with chicken wire.
This allowed me to shape her face
And I covered the soon-to-be snakes with fabric medical tape
to prevent the fibres slipping away from the wire
Using corriedale fleece I began to needle felt the shoulders and face
and refined the facial features
added some colour to the shoulders
added more shape to the shoulders
and began colouring the snakes
The nights were long
It was my intention for the snakes be the feature
with each one created using different fibre techniques
But I was running out of time.
I had to forget most of the finishing and textures
and present her as she was.
I think she looked wild and tortured enough