Saturday, 12 January 2013

Medusa - a felt sculpture

A long time ago - April 2010 to be honest,
I posted about a new project I had been working on ...
and I've just found the long lost photos! 
I had joined a fibre group
who experimented with all types of creative fibre methods.
We had been given a challenge with a theme of
'Wild Women'
My mind went immediately to Medusa.
To me she was truly wild, exiled to survive on her own
and all the while haunted
by the writhing of a myriad of snakes which replaced her hair.
I could imagine a felted bust of her tortured face
and snakes of all colours and textures
slithering about her, so I set myself to work
- creating a project which is still unfinished.
 
. . . Firstly I went under the house and found some garden wire
to build a basic frame
 
 


 
Then covered the frame with chicken wire.
This allowed me to shape her face

 
And I covered the soon-to-be snakes with fabric medical tape
to prevent the fibres slipping away from the wire

 
Using corriedale fleece I began to needle felt the shoulders and face



 
 
and refined the facial features


then began preparing the snakes

 


added some colour to the shoulders


 
and face
 

- I like her best like this

 


added more shape to the shoulders

 
and began colouring the snakes





 
The nights were long

 
It was my intention for the snakes be the feature
with each one created using different fibre techniques



 
but alas, I was running out of time!
I didn't want to be late for the display
... and there was still SO much to do ....
so I had to forget most of the finishing and textures 
 
 
and present her as she was
 
 
I think she looked wild enough 
but not the way I had intended.
 
 
Next time I,ll better manage my time
or be less enthusiatic and create a smaller project !